A cancer survivor at a young age, Joe Caruso kicks off his participation in It’s In Your Jeans, a fundraising and awareness campaign that is…
committed to joining the fight against colorectal, prostate, and testicular cancers. Our mission is to educate men to take responsibility for their health and when to take action. Our goal is educate, promote awareness and to offer financial assistance toward the preventative treatment against, prostate, testicular, and colorectal cancer to the men in our community.
While cancer was the last thing on his mind as an 18-year old diagnosed in 1978, young men and men of all ages can greatly benefit from increased awareness and education to allow for early detection and prevention right now, in 2016.
8 Reasons Why Joe is Participating – Did You Know?
- Cancer is the second largest cause of death among males with prostate cancer being the first common form and colorectal cancer being the third most common.
- When it comes to routine doctors visits, men lag far behind women according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Michigan ranks eighth in the United States for the number of new cancer cases in 2015 – that’s 57,420 new cases last year. Of those, 12,300(21.4%) are prostate or colorectal cases. These cancers account for 2,480 deaths(11.9% of all cancer related deaths in Michigan in 2015).
- Due, in part, by the early diagnosis of certain cancers, the five year survival rate for all cancers was 68% (up from 49% in 1975).
- In 2012, 46.9% of Michigan men 50 years and older had a Prostate Specific Antigen(PSA) test in the past year according to MDHHS.
- There is a lack of urgency for preventative testing in our community.
- Having a family history of prostate cancer increases the risk for developing it.
- In 2012, an estimated 233,602 men were living with testicular cancer in the United States according to the National Cancer Institute.
If you would like to support Joe in his efforts for It’s In Your Jeans, visit his crowdrise page here.
Read more about Joe’s Story…
See Joe’s Success Strategies…